Basketball involves a lot of starting and stopping. While not renowned as an aerobic sport, it is still a great workout that can help you:
- Burn calories (an hour of basketball can burn 630–750 calories)
- Build endurance
- Improve balance and coordination
- Develop concentration and self-discipline
- Build up muscles
as well as many techniques and competitive training for shooting, passing, dribbling and rebounding, basketball has specialized player positionsand offensive and defensive structures
Basketball is a great way for kids to get active and have fun. ‘Aussie hoops’ is a national introductory basketball programme for primary school children, started by Basketball Australia and the Australian Sports Commission. It provides primary school girls and boys of all ages, abilities and skill levels, with the opportunity to play basketball and develop sport and social skills in a safe environment.
One of the greatest things about the game is that apart from having a basketball, one requires less other equipments to play. However, as basketball involves a lot of running and jumping, it can also be wise to have:
- Basketball or sports shoes that provide good ankle support
- Mouth guards
- Protective knee and elbow pads.
- Basketball Recreation benefits
- Develops good team player attitude.
- Improves coordination.
- Enhances confidence.
- Develops concentration and self-discipline.